This updated shepherd’s pie recipe eschews the heavy cream and butter in favour of a pureed mushroom soup, making it lower in fat and much more nutrient-dense. You can even sub out the ground beef for ground turkey for an even leaner version.
Healthy Shepherd's PiePrint This
- 8 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-ground pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups of pureed mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F.
- Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of water. Cook for 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a fork.
- Strain the water off the potatoes and mash the potatoes along with the coconut milk, coconut oil, sea salt, and pepper, until completely combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Warm a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef or turkey, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Season with oregano, parsley, basil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Continue to cook until evenly browned and no pink remains.
- Drain meat (if using beef) and spread over the bottom of a deep baking pan. Pour mushroom soup over the beef. Spread frozen corn and peas evenly over the top of the beef.
- Top with mashed potatoes and bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve warm.
GF, DF, GRF, SF, EF