Flu season is here and it sucks for everyone. But it sucks even more if you are a parent of a sick child because it means in addition to your regular day job, you now also have to take on the roles of doctor, nurse, made-to-order chef, cleaner, massage therapist, entertainer, and butler. Plus, if your immune system isn’t up to par, or you just get worn down from taking care of the kids all day and all night, you may end up under the weather yourself.
Of course, there are things you can do to protect yourself from getting sick. Like getting the flu shot (ouch!), washing your hands regularly, supplementing with vitamin D, and of course, staying away from anyone who is sick! But, if despite your best efforts, you or your kids happen to succumb to a nasty bout of the cold or flu anyway, shuffle your way into the kitchen and whip up a batch of this yummy recipe which will have you back on your feet in no time flat!
Flu Fighting TeaPrint This
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½-inch (1.3-cm) slice of fresh ginger
- 5 to 6 whole cloves
- 5 to 6 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) raw honey, or more to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- a pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Add the water, cinnamon stick, ginger, cloves, cardamom pods, turmeric and cayenne (if using) to a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Strain, then stir in honey and lemon juice and serve.