My mom has been making this soup for years. I kept asking her for the recipe and each time she would look at me like I had two heads and would tell me, “Why do you need a recipe? It’s so simple. All you need to do is saute some onions, broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes, throw in some stock, add some spices and then puree it!” Ok, mom.
So this time, when she came to town to celebrate my daughters 7th birthday, I cornered her and insisted that we made the soup together. Of course, she would just start throwing ingredients into the pot, which I then had to fish out of the pot and measure, before throwing them back into the pot. But that’s all part of the fun, right? You know what moms are like! Anyhow, I hope you like this soup as much as I did, but if not you can always blame my mom 😉
Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower SoupPrint This
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4-1/2 head of cauliflower (about 2 cups), chopped into small pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried nutmeg
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until it is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and potato and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil, then lower and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Add four more cups of chicken stock and bring back to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, and add the garlic, marjoram, pepper, nutmeg and salt.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh parsley.
- If desired, serve with gluten-free croutons.
GF, DF, SF, GRF, Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Primal
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pieces of gluten-free bread, crusts trimmed and chopped into cubes
- sea salt, to taste
- Melt the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add bread to the pan and saute until golden brown, stirring constantly so the bread crumbs don’t burn.
- Season with sea salt and serve.
GF, DF, SF, Vegan, Vegetarian