Apple Crisp is one of my all time favourite desserts. You know how our minds sometimes link certain foods to special events that have happened in our lives? Well, for me apple crisp is linked to the first grown-up date I went on. It was during my first year in University and he picked me up in his car, all dressed up, and took me to this tiny little seafood restaurant that sat on the edge of the water in Fairfield, Connecticut. It was dark and cold and pouring rain outside and each table had one of those small dark red candles and it was incredibly romantic.
We shared a bottle of white wine and for dessert we ordered warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream on top. Now every time I eat apple crisp I am brought back to that perfect evening, so many years ago. So that I could enjoy one of my favourite desserts of a regular basis, I decided to revamp the way its traditionally made so that it is more nutrient dense and health supportive (and vegan and gluten-free). The great thing is, you can’t even tell that it’s been revamped because it tastes just as incredible as the original version. I suggest you eat this vegan apple crisp right out of the oven and serve it with coconut whipping cream.
Vegan Apple CrispPrint This
- FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp fresh apple cider or freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- CRUMBLE TOPPING INGREDIENTS
- 5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 c slivered almonds (or another 1/2 c or rolled oats)
- 3/4 c almond flour/meal
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place apples in a large bowl.
- Mix together all filling ingredients then pour over apples.
- Spread apples evenly over the bottom of a 8 by 8 inch pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together all toppping ingredients with your hands till thoroughly combined.
- Remove from oven and turn up heat to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the top of the apples and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with a dollop of homemade coconut whipping cream.
GF, DF, Vegan, Vegetarian. Photo by Marianne Rothbauer.