In our home we love Taco Tuesday, except usually we make them on Saturdays, because we’re rebels like that. I mean really, who doesn’t love tacos on any day of the week? Especially when made while sipping on a really great margarita, you know what I mean?
What?! You mean you don’t drink and cook? You are seriously missing out my friends, because the tacos turn out way better if you do. I don’t the science behind why this happens, but it’s a fact.
Of course due to my youngest daughter’s dietary restrictions, I am always looking for ways to make meals allergy-friendly. These taco-less tacos are great for people who can’t eat grains and if you omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese like Daiya cheese you can easily make these dairy-free as well.
The corn kernels can also easily be left out, but I personally liked them because they add a bit of sweetness to the dish. This is an easy, quick kid-friendly weeknight meal that takes less than 30 minutes to make and will have everyone asking for seconds!
Taco Turkey Lettuce WrapsPrint This
- 454 grams ground turkey, extra lean (about one package)
- 1/2 onion sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup marinara pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen yellow corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or vegan Daiya cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 4 Romaine lettuce leaves
1. Heat avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and brown.
2. Add onions and saute for a few more minutes, then add garlic and saute one more minute.
3. Add in the tomato paste and chicken broth, and stir to combine.
4. Season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, sea salt and pepper and cook until stock is absorbed.
5. Stir in the black beans and corn kernels and cook another minute to heat through.
6. Divide among the four Romaine leaves, top with onion, cheese, red pepper and avocado and serve immediately.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free (if using Daiya cheese), Grain-free