These remind me of the Sweet n Salty Quaker Granola Bars that I used to love as a kid. I loved them right up until I realized how much sugar and how little protein they had along with (yikes!) artificial flavours and food dyes, and the preservative BHT. Plus, they contain over 50 different ingredients! It was clearly time to learn to make my own, and I have to say, they turned out pretty darn good.
Sweet n' Salty Granola BarsPrint This
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Pour onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, stir together the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and water.
- Once the oats are ready, remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add the coconut flour, sea salt and cinnamon and stir once more.
- Press dough down into a parchment paper-lined 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Place back into the bowl and and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a light golden colour.
- Let cool before cutting into bars.
- Enjoy the crunchy, nutty goodness!