One of my good friends and neighbours is my regular walking buddy. She also happens to be a dietitian and an awesome cook! So of course a lot of our conversations revolve around food and cooking. My friends was telling me that she had to cook up a huge batch of chili for a charity cook-off at her workplace next week. I asked what kind of chili she usually made and since she lived in Texas for a while her go-to recipe is a smoky southern-style chili.
Then she told me that she had also made a pumpkin chili last year and I was super intrigued! I love the flavour and creaminess that pumpkin brings to the table and so I knew I had to try to make a pumpkin chili myself! Since the only meat we had at home was ground turkey, I decided to use that instead of ground beef and it turned out awesome! You gotta try this perfect fall chili that is way learner and more nutrient-dense than your regular variety. I think I am a lifelong convert and honestly don’t know if I can go back to making regular chili again!
Pumpkin Turkey ChiliPrint This
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 package ground turkey (about 450 grams)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and turkey and cook, breaking up the large pieces of meat, until no longer pink and the onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, beans, corn, chicken broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, parsely, cinnamon, sea salt, and pepper and stir until combined.
- Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, top with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, tortilla chips and / or avocado and serve warm.