Who doesn’t love the idea of sipping on a fancy schmancy Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte? They look so decadent, piled high with whipped cream and smelling absolutely delicious. Sipping on them makes us feel pampered, and youthful, and important, and yes, fancy! But…well, there’s always a but, isn’t there? First, you get lulled into forgetting that you are still paying $6 for a coffee! And it doesn’t even contain any real pumpkin!
Then you have to wait in a really long line to get one. And finally, a grande contains 380 calories which includes 52 grams of sugar (that’s like 13 teaspoons of sugar)! Plus, according to Food Babe, it has all these other nasty ingredients like caramel colour (a carcinogen), sulphites (lots of people react to these), carrageenan (which can cause gut inflammation).
So, do yourself, and your wallet a favour, and whip one up yourself, in your very own home. If it makes you feel better, you can always call out your own name out really loudly when its ready! Then close your eyes, take a sip, and savour your own signature Pumpkin Spice Latte.
Pumpkin Spice SyrupPrint This
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut cream (cream scooped off the top of 1 can of chilled full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (to taste)
- a pinch of sea salt
- a dash of freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, bring sugar, maple syrup and water to a boil. Lower the heat slightly and simmer for about 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure the mixture doesn’t burn.
- Once the mixture thickens slightly, whisk in pumpkin puree, coconut cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sea salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a glass mason jar and place in the fridge overnight to allow the flavours to intensify.
- Add desired amount of syrup to your latte as instructed below.
- Syrup stores in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 3/4 cup milk or milk alternative (I used coconut milk from a carton)
- 1 shot espresso
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut whipped cream (you can skip this but its so, so much better with it!)
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Spice Syrup (from above)
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Instructions:
- Heat milk in a saucepan until it starts to boil, stirring regularly to prevent it from burning.
- Remove from heat and pour the milk into a large mug.
- Use a frother to froth the milk (if available). Add in the shot of espresso.
- Place a large dollop of coconut whipped cream on top. It will sink to the bottom a bit, but thats ok.
- Drizzle on a tablespoon of pumpkin spice syrup. Mix with a spoon if preferred, or drink as is, savouring every little bit.
- Smile, knowing you just saved yourself like $1200 dollars and 1200 grams of sugar (or something like that).
- Now go buy yourself something nice for Christmas