OMG. I am so excited.
This. is. hands. down. the. best. pesto. I. have. ever. tasted. For real.
It’s so good, I ate the first batch directly out of the jar. What makes it so great? Well, first of all I adore the taste (and oh, don’t even get me started on the smell) of fresh basil. Add to that the sweet, fresh taste of peas, the sourness of the lemon, and the creaminess of the vegan parmesan, and even the youngest, pickiest eaters will find delight in this spread/sauce/dip that is normally reserved for more mature tastes.
It is seriously So Good. You have to make it.
Plus, it goes on everything and with everything. As a pasta sauce. As a pizza sauce. On burgers. As a chip or vegetable dip. On potatoes. As a sandwich spread. In grilled cheese. With pork or shrimp. On chicken. Added to soup. The list is endless!
Ok, I promise, no more teasing! Here’s the recipe.
Perfect Pea PestoPrint This
- VEGAN PARMESEAM INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cups cashews
- 1 teaspoon Herbamare (I buy mine at Costco)
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- PEA PESTO INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese (I used just over 1/3 cup)
- a good pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- In a food processor, process nutritional yeast, cashews, Herbamare and garlic powder (if using) until mixture resembles parmesan cheese. Reserve 1/3 – 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan and store the rest in the fridge in a mair-tight, glass container.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and blend until almost smooth. I personally like a bit of texture in my pesto, but how smooth you make it is up to you.
- The pesto can be served as a dip, a spread, a pizza sauce, or a pasta sauce.