Mug muffins are awesome and super easy to make. Although I don’t normally microwave, I make an exception for mug muffins because they turn out so much better in the microwave than in the oven and they save so much time.
Although some mug muffins can be high in sugar and calories, this one has no sugar! Plus, with the egg whites and protein powder (Genuine Health Vanilla Fermented Vegan Proteins+ is my favourite), this mug muffin becomes a low calorie, high protein snack, which is perfect for those following a If It fit In Your Macros (IIFYM) diet, like I am at the moment.
I like using this style of diet when dieting when I am cutting because it doesn’t prohibit you from having any specific type of food as long as it fits into your daily macronutrient requirements. For a lot of people, this prevents a binging mentality because you never feel deprived. You can read more about how to set up your IIFYM diet here.
The only caution I want to make in regard to following this type of diet, is that it is still critical to ensure you use real, whole foods for the bulk of your diet. Don’t fall into the trap of resorting to non-fat, low calorie processed foods that provide you with little to no nutritional value.
Remember, both your metabolism and your muscles need proper nutrients to thrive and and if all of your calories are empty ones than you will not only suffer from low energy and poor performance, but will also have a really hard time building the kind of physique that you want.
High Protein Banana Mug MuffinPrint This
- 1/3 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tbsp vanilla vegan protein powder or 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- optional: 1 tbsp mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- In medium sized bowl mix together all ingredients except chocolate chips until completely combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until cooked through and top is firm to touch.
- Remove and eat straight out of the mug or if preferred, free sides of muffin from the mug with a butter knife and turn the mug upside down to shake it out of the mug on to a plate.
- I personally really enjoy mine without the chocolate chips, and with a teaspoon of coconut oil spread on top.