A client of mine recently asked me for a healthy baked egg muffin recipe and I realized I had never created one. So, I eagerly rushed to the kitchen to start creating! I was super excited when they turned out delicious on the first try! This just might be my new favourite breakfast recipe!
Egg muffins are great because they can be made ahead of time and provide you with a portable, on-the-go, high protein and low calorie breakfast option. They are also a way to sneak in some veggies first thing in the morning, which is something that most people struggle with.
As you can see below, I paired mine with some sweet, fresh blackberries and it was one of the most awesome breakfasts I have had in a long time! As for the nutritional breakdown, each muffin has 97 calories, 8.5 protein, 5.2 g carbs and 4.4 g fat. I usually eat two muffins at each meal with a cup of low sugar, high fibre berries for a total of about 256 calories.
Healthy Egg MuffinsPrint This
- 1 cup egg whites
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup small cubes of sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a muffin pan with silicone muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and eggs until well combined.
- Stir in the cottage cheese, cheddar and parmesan.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper (I used 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper) and set aside.
- Heat oil in a ceramic pan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and saute for about 2 minutes, then add sweet potato continue to cook until lightly browned, about 7 more minutes. Season with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Add red pepper and cauliflower and cook for a few more minutes until slightly softened.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the sauteed veggie mixture into each silicone muffin cup.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top with the egg mixture and then place in the oven.
- Bake for about 28 mins or until tops are firm to the touch.
Gluten-free, grain-free, vegetarian