Every time I talk about eating a healthy breakfast the one thing people seem to balk at the most is giving up their breakfast cereal. In their minds cereal is synonymous with quick, easy and healthy.
After they learn that it is only two of the three, (hint: the first two) naturally they want to know what healthy alternatives there are out there. After I list a bunch of other healthy breakfasts they can try (smoothies, eggs, oatmeal, leftovers) they inevitably ask me, but what about a healthy cereal?
So, I gave up trying to convert them, and instead started thinking up a healthy cereal recipe that they could try. Of course, there are a few healthy cereal options on the market, but to be honest, I have found most of them to be bland and barely palatable.
But this! This cereal is to die for! And you can make large batches at a time so all you have to do is serve and pour some milk over the top. Plus, it’s got fibre, protein, antioxidants and omega 3’s to boot!
It also has a bunch of other vitamins and minerals, plus you can up the nutrient content further by adding some raisins, cranberries or fresh berries on top. I hope you like it as much as my family does!
Homemade Healthy Breakfast CerealPrint This
- 2 cups quick oats
- 3 cups organic corn flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix together oats, corn flakes, coconut, almonds, pecans, and chia seeds.
- In a medium bowl mix together maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix together until well combined.
- Spread out onto two parchment-paper lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before storing in an air-tight, glass container.