I love waking up, pouring myself an (embarrassingly) large bowl of delicious, crunchy nut granola and sitting down on my patio to savour those wonderfully sweet, huge clusters of oat-y goodness….mmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about it (please wait while I go pour myself a bowl). Granola is certainly one of life’s sweet pleasures and I eat a lot of it. I was telling my friend about a batch of double chocolate granola that I had made over the weekend and she lamented that she couldn’t eat granola because she was sensitive to grains.
Well, it struck me as horribly unfair that she couldn’t partake in the wonderful ritual of spooning those sweet granola clusters into her mouth one by one, so I decided to create a granola recipe that she could enjoy. So, here it is – for those of you looking for a low-carb,paleo-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free breakfast option, I have created this nutty granola just for you. This recipe is super easy to make, much healthier for you than store bought brands, has no refined sugar and is high in fibre and flavour. What’s not to love?
Orange Honey Nut GranolaPrint This
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup chia seeds, ground
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons raw honey (or to maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix together nuts, chia, flax and coconut oil in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together orange juice, honey, coconut oil and applesauce until everything has melted together and is well combined.
- Remove from heat and pour over granola mixture.
- Spread granola onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until granola is golden brown. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes so the outside edges don’t burn.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an air-tight glass container.