I have to admit that I have never been a huge fan of salsa. Possibly because I have always eaten read-made, store-bought salsa. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I thought salsa was okay and I would eat it if it was put in front of me…but I definitely would never have gone out of my way to buy any myself.
But fresh homemade salsa…OH MY! I am definitely on Team Salsa now. I realized that the key to great salsa is using super fresh ingredients. Like fresh jalapeño, just-picked cilantro, freshly-squeezed lime juice and vine tomatoes that have never been refrigerated.
I mean, I never used to know that if you put tomatoes in the fridge they lose most of their flavour! Who knew? Definitely not me…but I digress. Go. Make. This. Salsa. I implore you. Your kids might even eat it! Mine did, jalapeño and all, without one complaint. So I made it again, twice. The only trick I haven’t figured out yet is how to stop eating those darn tortillas chips.
Fresh Homemade SalsaPrint This
- 3 large vine tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well.
- Serve immediately.