One of my clients recently asked me for a cinnamon roasted chickpea recipe, and since I am always on the lookout for healthy snacks for my kids, I was eager to oblige. I also really like that that roasted chickpeas are allergy-friendly and nut-free, so they make a perfect addition to your kids lunch boxes.
I’ve make a few different versions of roasted chickpeas before, like my Spiced Chickpeas, and my Chocolate Covered Chickpeas which were a huge hit with kids and adults alike. This time, I decided to try to make chickpeas really crunchy, similar to those they carry at the ‘Impulse Buy’ aka ‘Pleeeease mom!’ section of grocery stores (at least the one I shop in).
You know the section I’m talking about, located right up at the cash, where you cannot help but peruse as you stand in line with nothing better to do? The ‘Every mother’s nightmare‘ and ‘Most likely to bring about a tantrum‘ section. Luckily, at Farmboy, they mostly only carry healthy version of impulse buys, like roasted chickpeas (go Farmboy!).
So all that to say, they turned out pretty darn good and my kids were popping them into their mouths like candy. The only caution I would give is to make two batches at once if you have a large family like mine, as they tend to disappear pretty fast. Each serving of this recipe (about 1/2 cup or 2 ounces) amounts to 176 calories, 25g carbs, 6.2.1g fat and 6.4 g protein.
Cinnamon Maple Roasted ChickpeasPrint This
- 2 cans chickpeas (400 ml)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- a good pinch of sea salt
- Drain, rinse and dry your chickpeas. For best results, remove as many skins as you can by rubbing chickpeas with a paper towel. This can take about five minutes but is so worth it as it helps dry out the chickpeas.
- Spread the chickpeas onto a cookie sheet and place them in the cold oven, then turn the temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and pour chickpeas into a medium sized bowl. Stir in the coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt and return to the oven for another 20 mins.
- Turn off the oven, leaving the chickpeas inside until the oven cools down. Remove and make sure they are completely cool before storing.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Nut-Free