My favourite meal this time of the year is anything warm that can be eaten with a spoon. Yes, you guessed it: I adore soup, especially creamy soup!
So I created this carrot orange ginger soup that will warm you up and comfort you from the inside out: the sweetness of the carrot, the warmth of the ginger, and the freshness of orange will rank this soup high on your list of recipes to repeat.
You will be able to find this soup in my next cookbook “Help yourself to seconds” which comes out sometime in 2015. I can’t tell you when yet, so…..in the meantime, treat yourself to this deliciousness.
Carrot Orange Ginger SoupPrint This
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 7-8 large carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp curry power
- 1 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- splash of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp curry power
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- ¼ c fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add carrots, ginger, garlic and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- In the meantime, drain and rinse chickpeas and pat dry. Place chickpeas in a medium sized bowl and drizzle with melted coconut oil, sea salt and curry powder and mix until well coated.
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet, spread them out evenly and bake for 15-20 min. Remove from oven when done and set aside.
- When soup has finished cooking for the above noted time, add in sesame oil, orange juice, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper and then remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth.
- Top with roasted chickpeas, red pepper flakes and fresh parsley and serve immediately.
GF, DF, GRF, Vegetarian