I get jealous when I see people eating pancakes. Especially those big gigantic stacks of pancakes topped with whipped cream and syrup! I keep having to remind myself that most pancakes are nothing more than a bunch of flour and sugar with a few eggs thrown in to bind everything together.
Simply put, they are not the most nutritious breakfast choice to make and I always end up feeling hungry again a few hours later once my blood sugar drops. Until now. Now, I get to indulge in this awesome stack of pancakes that taste as good as they look and yet are super high in protein and fibre which means they actually keep me full for hours.
These pancakes taste like warm banana bread and provide you with a nice dose of potassium, calcium, selenium, copper, manganese, magnesium, and B vitamins! Plus they are gluten-free and low in calories too so they fit into my macros quite nicely. No reason to believe me either, just go ahead and try them out yourself and you will be forever converted!
Banana Bread PancakesPrint This
- 4 tbsp chocolate PB 2
- 2 tbsp vanilla vegan protein powder
- 1 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 banana, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup quick oats (yes, again)
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- TOPPINGS - optional, but delicious
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp pecan pieces
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp chocolate, roughly chopped or shaved
- Mix together the first eight ingredients in a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender. Alternatively you can add the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup of oats and pecan pieces (this is to add a bit of texture).
- Preheat a non-stick pan (I use ceramic) over medium heat and test out a small dollop of batter to make sure pan is hot enough. The edges should start to sizzle right away if the pan is the right temperature.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto the pan and cook until bubbles start to form and edges of pancake can easily be lifted. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining pancake batter.
- Serve with sliced banana, pecan pieces, maple syrup and chocolate shavings, if desired.