The best time for eggs is on the weekend, when you have lots of time (ok, let’s face it no one has lots of time anymore) to waddle (is it just me?) downstairs in your pajamas and make a leisurely breakfast. I put on music, pour myself a nice HUGE cup of coffee and let the smell of eggs and bacon cooking waft upstairs to wake up the kids.
This is one of my favourite egg breakfasts because you please everyone – the carb-lovers, the avocado-fanatics, and the egg and bacon eaters and it’s super simple to make. Plus, you can get the kids involved once they are old enough and start teaching them how to make eggs and bacon, which in my opinion, is a critical life skill!
A B.E.L.T. (Avocado, Bacon, Eggs, Lettuce, Tomato)Print This
- 8 slices gluten-free whole grain bread
- 4 tsp coconut oil
- 8 poached eggs
- 8 slices cooked bacon (I cook mine in the oven like this)
- 8 heriloom tomatoes
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 8 pieces romaine lettuce
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs of your choice
- seal salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Spread the coconut oil on both sides of the bread and toast slightly on a frying pan until the bread turns lightly golden brown.
- Top each slice with lettuce, tomato, bacon, egg and avocado. Top with fresh herbs, season with salt and pepper, and serve